5 Tips For Staying Hydrated During Summer

5 Tips For Staying Hydrated During Summer

October 08, 2021 05:50 Created by Admin, Last modified on November 03, 2021 10:46

The long, sunny days and breezy nights of summer beckon us to enjoy the outdoors. Biking, swimming, and water sports headline the top of the “to-do” list. Watching the surf while strolling along the beach or exploring hiking trails become the national past time. But summer also brings heat waves, and the dash of extreme weather was a sobering reminder of the importance of staying hydrated during the summer months. Below are the ways how you can keep yourself hydrated:

1) Drink plenty of water- For most people, water is the best thing to drink to stay hydrated. Sources of water also include foods, such fruits and vegetables which contain a high percentage of water. Sports drinks with electrolytes, may be useful for people doing high intensity, vigorous exercise in very hot weather, though they tend to be high in added sugars and calories

2) Eat foods with high water content- Did you know that approximately 80 percent of our water intake comes from drinking water? The other 20 percent comes from food. All whole fruits and vegetables contain some water, but snack on these for maximum benefit: cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, radishes, peppers, cauliflower, watermelon, spinach, strawberries, broccoli, and grapefruit. They all contain 90 percent water or higher.

3) Drink plain coconut water- Coconuts contain a lot of potassium and electrolytes to help keep you hydrated. It’s good for relieving muscle aches and cramps and doesn’t contain any fat. It does, however, contain a lot of calories, so you might not want to substitute coconut water for regular water. If you plan to drink coconut water, buy the plain kind. Some coconut waters come with additional flavoring or sugar added. The plain coconut water tastes great as-is and will work wonders for replenishing your body in the summer.

4) Avoid alcohol, sugary drinks, and/or caffeine- Tricky fact—some liquids work against hydration! Drinks like coffee, sugary sodas, beer, wine and hard liquor, lemonade, sweet tea, energy drinks, smoothies, and flavored milk are all culprits. They are loaded with sugar, sodium, and other ingredients that remove water from your tissues. Consider swapping some of these out daily or re hydrating with more water for each dehydrating drink you consume.

5) Sip on fruit smoothies- Maybe you don’t want to eat a bunch of fruit and vegetables every day. That’s okay – drink them instead. Making fruit and green smoothies is a great way to get your daily allowance of vitamins and minerals while also increasing your hydration levels. Not only are you adding hydrating fruits to the smoothie but also plenty of ice. Not only will the smoothie taste great and hydrate you, it will also regulate your body temperature. If you’re worn out from being in the sun all day, a fruit smoothie will help you to feel like a normal person again.


The views, thoughts, and opinion expressed in the text belongs solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author's employer, organization, or other group or individual. The medical and/or nutritional information on the Blog/Website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advise of your physician .
Leave a comment