Ayurveda, known as the “Sister Science” to yoga, is an ancient science that is holistic in nature. Having been around for over 5,000 years, the main focus of Ayurveda is to focus on your life in-between the emotional and physical self. One of the main beliefs is that the food we eat effects our overall wellbeing, and can make us elated or miserable. Essentially, we can be full of energy and vitality, or lethargic and run-down based on what we put into our bodies. This is known as the Sattvic approach.
There are lots of benefits of these herbs for health. Below are some of the benefits:
1) Staying Well (Preventive Care)- So much of western medicine is focused on the treatment of disease. While western medicine struggles to catch up to the ancient wisdom of preventive care, Ayurvedic medicine has for thousands of years offered practitioners the means to maintain health and stave off disease. By attuning our diets and lifestyles to our unique constitutions, we maintain the balance within ourselves that maintains good health. The best way to combat disease is to stay well in the first place.
2) Detoxify the body- We eat so as to live. If we won’t eat, our body will feel weak and there will be lack of energy. Detoxification doesn’t mean to go on a diet that allows you organic or raw food. Detoxification of the body refers to the process of getting rid of toxins from the body. Our body should flush out the waste on time else it will be toxicities. Also, it means incurring such habits that will keep you on track. Many Ayurvedic herbs encourage a good digestive system and also make way for the overall cleansing of the body. They work on the process of Panchakarma that stands for eliminating all the impurities. Ayurvedic oils and massage help the body in getting rid of such impurities.
3) Hormonal Balance- Ayurveda can help balance hormones naturally, resulting in a healthy menstrual cycle/pregnancy. In 2010, a study done found that using essential oils can help with balancing hormones. Ayurveda prescribes natural formations and various therapeutic properties to help with all ill effects of hormonal imbalance.
4) Reduces stress- To put it simply, food influences how you feel. If your digestive system isn’t firing, you feel uncomfortable and tired, which can manifest into negative feelings and ultimately affect how you show up in life. Through incorporating a diet that is specifically tailored to your needs, you can begin to find clarity in your body and mind. Again, the holistic approach of Ayurveda means it also positively affects your mindfulness practices, helping reduce stress overall.
5) Beautiful Skin- Healthy skin is beautiful skin. When we use the harsh chemicals found in so many commercial skin care products, we so mistreat our skin that we may feel compelled to the further use of harsh chemicals to help mask the damage done.
Better, then, to care for our skin by first understanding our skin. Whether you have dry skin, sensitive skin, or oily skin, once you understand your skin type, you can find which ancient, natural skin treatments will best balance these qualities and promote healthy, beautiful skin. In addition, by following a healthy diet and a balancing lifestyle, our skin will respond to these Ayurvedic practices, and will naturally balance itself as the entire body is eased into greater balance and health.